The Home Office limits the time you can spend studying in the UK on a student visa at undergraduate degree level. This visa has replaced the Tier 4 (General) student visa. or another regulated immigration adviser before you apply. If you take longer than expected to complete your course, for example because you need to retake part of your course or do resits, and to do so would take you over the five year limit, you can only extend your immigration permission if you had very compelling circumstances, such as injury, disability, or other compelling reasons. Any old-style student visa for degree-level studies that was issued before Tier 4 existed is also counted towards the cap. All time you have spent in the UK under Tier 4 (or as a pre- Tier 4 student) counts towards the 5 years, including the short extra time you are given before the course (maximum one month) and after a course (maximum four months). The limit of time spent in the UK with Tier 4 and Student permission counts, even if you are applying for your new visa from outside the UK. On 6 April 2012, the UKVI (Home Office UK Visas & Immigration) introduced limits as to how long a Tier 4 student would be permitted to stay in the UK studying at various levels (study cap). This is known as the 5 year cap. Your 5 year period will start once you have switched to the Tier 1 Investor Visa. Tier 4 student visas, Tier 2 ICT, Tier 5 visas do NOT lead to settlement. The placement year is especially useful for students without prior experience in the field or the UK because it is just to enable you gain work experience which some jobs might require. If you are aged 18 or over, you cannot spend more than two years in the UK on a Tier 4 (General) / Student Visa studying below degree level courses. This page provides more information about each of the study caps and attempts to answer some of the most frequently asked questions. Postgraduate students can study for longer. The Student visa rules limit you to studying for 5 years at undergraduate degree level (RQF Level 6) with a Student visa. You can obtain a Tier 4 visa for some part time courses at level 7 and above (Masters-level courses). Those who wish to stay longer need to come under the Tier 2 visa and Tier 2 Sponsor Licence scheme. Before issuing your CAS, Queen Mary University of London will check all your previous Tier 4 and Student immigration permission granted for degree level studies, including periods of leave granted before and after your course. When calculating the 5-year study period caseworkers will not include any time spent in the UK as a Tier 4 (Child) Student, or any time spent in the UK as a Tier 4 (General) Student aged 16 or 17 years. The limit is extended if you completed a 4-year undergraduate degree, and there are also some exceptions. Periods of interruption are included in this calculation. You will also need this visa if you are joining a part-time postgraduate course, but you cannot take on employment (including work placements) or have dependants. The existing Tier 4 student route is not expected to change. PhD students are part of the UK's points-based Student Route visa system (previously known as the Tier 4 student visa). Studying At Degree Level - Five Year Time Limit to Study. A Tier 4 Visa allows you to study and work in the UK. 'Student' includes Tier 4 (General) and 'Child student' includes Tier 4 (Child). They will base their calculation on the 'valid from' date and the 'valid until' date of each period of leave since the age of 18. They will base their calculation on the 'valid from' date and the 'valid until' date of each period of leave. 5 Statement of Intent: changes affecting study, post-study work and maintenance requirements for students and workers Maximum time in Tier 4 at degree level We announced last March that, from April 2012, we will limit to five years the time that can be spent studying under Tier 4 at degree level. 5 year cap The five year limit applies to all degree level study (RQF Level 6, typically a Bachelor's degree) undertaken in the UK on either a Tier 4 (General), Student Visa or on an old-style Student Visa (this is the student visa issued before 31 March 2009). Parent of a Student child visa (up to 12 months) (Tier 4 Isle of Man) 4688: Visa application guide: child visitors. If you have two visas with an overlapping period, the overlapping period will not be double-counted. If there are compelling and compassionate circumstances that either prevented you from completing the course within the time given or caused you to prematurely leave your course (for example, serious illness or disability), and there is strong evidence of this, it may be possible for the University to assign a CAS exceptionally to support your visa application. This includes leave granted under a Tier 4 visa, and/or a student visa. Please do not misunderstand me. Advice & Guidance International Student Advice Resits and Interruptions . The information on this webpage is only relevant to students who applied for their Tier 4 visa before 9am (BST) on 5 October 2020 On 18 December 2017, the Immigration Minister announced that 23 universities, including Warwick, had been invited to join the Tier 4 pilot for students starting their course from 18/19 academic year. The five year limit applies to all degree level study (RQF Level 6, typically a Bachelor's degree) undertaken in the UK on either a Tier 4 (General), Student Visa or on an old-style Student Visa (this is the student visa issued before 31 March 2009). Since 5 October 2020, 'Tier 4 (General)' leave has become 'Student' permission and 'Tier 4 (Child)' leave has become 'Child student' permission. You have previously studied an English language course with a Tier 4 (General) visa valid from 10 September 2015 to 10 August 2016. The maximum length of time that a student can be granted leave on a Student visa is 5 years for undergraduate degree-level study (RQF Level 6). Moreover, UK student visa fees in Nigerian Naira for short-term study (up to 6 months) and studying English language for more than 6 months but not more than 11 months are ₦49,140 and ₦94,380, respectively. However, students will be able to apply for their visa six months before the start of their course. Generally, a person can only study a bachelor's degree for 5 years in the UK whilst on a student visa. Students studying at undergraduate level can study for up to 5 years. This report will usually trigger curtailment action from the UKVI to shorten the visa issued for the study period, however, this has not been actioned consistently. This is known as the 5 year cap. The UKVI will consider how much leave you have already received to study courses on a Tier 4 (General), Tier 4 (Child) student, or Student Visa since the age of 18, and add the length of leave that you will receive if your visa application for the course you wish to pursue is granted. In general, you are limited to a maximum of five years in the UK studying at undergraduate level. ILR after 5 years UK. Other relaxations will also be implemented, including: Ask An Immigration Solicitor about your Tier 4 to Tier 2 visa switch If you need more information about the upcoming changes as of 1st January 2021 or are already seeking to switch from your Tier 4 student visa to a Tier 2 work visa you can book a consultation with one of our expert immigration solicitors who will be able to discuss your specific case with you. Postgraduate degree level You are permitted to study courses at degree level using a Student route visa for no more than 5 years UNLESS you are studying on an exempt subject. If you are over the age of … [Continue Reading...] National Insurance Category Letters. For the purpose of studying in the UK the vast number of applications are made under this category of the Home Office Points Based System for visas.A student visa applicant must ensure they have 40 points which is made up of 10 points for funds, and 30 points for a valid Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). See different Tier 5 visa types and their specific requirements. 'Student' includes Tier 4 (General) and 'Child student' includes Tier 4 (Child). Main changes to the Student Route. Spouse visas, Ancestry visas, Tier 2 General, and Tier 1 visas may lead to settlement. Until 5 October 2020, the limit included studies at RQF level 7 as well. Step 1a – Check if you are eligible under the ‘5 year cap’ rule The Home Office/UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) have set a maximum time limit (“cap”) on studying with a student visa. The maximum time you can study a course below a degree level is capped at 3 years. You now want to study the Warwick IFP (International Foundation Programme) with a course start date of 26 September 2016 and course end date of 3 July 2017. Your Admissions team will assess your 'study cap' formally as part of the CAS assignment process. The time taken into account includes time already spent in the UK studying at or above degree level in the UK on a Student visa**.